Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Best of Paranormal/Urban Fantasy - 2009

Going to do something different here. Since everyone's doing their "end of the year lists," I thought I'd post what I thought were the best Paranormal/Urban Fantasy books of 2009. Some I had the chance to review, some not, but they are all GREAT books! Now, I fully expect some of you to disagree wholeheartedly. If you do, please comment and tell me where you think I went wrong. Here goes, starting with #10.

10. Vanished (Greywalker, Book 4) (August 2009) - Kat Richardson – Ms. Richardson continues to get better and better with each book, and Vanished is her best to date. If this series is new to you I recommend picking up all the title to follow her hero Harper Blaine.








9. Night's Cold Kiss: A Dark Brethren Novel (August 2009) – Tracey O’Hara – I love it when first time authors hit it out of the park and Ms. O’Hara definitely hit a home run with this one. She did this by doing my favourite thing and bringing something new to the Urban Fantasy genre. The struggles that Antoinette Petrescu goes through and how she changes from start to finish are nothing short of amazing.






8. Street Magic (Black London Bk. 1) (June 2009) - Caitlin Kittredge – The story of Pete Caldecott and Jack Winters. This is one of those titles where the story grabs you by the throat (or more sensitive bits) and refuses to let go. Great Read.








7. Hunting Ground (Alpha & Omega, Book 2) (August 2009) - Patricia Briggs – The story of Charles Cornick (Alpha Werewolf) and his mate Anna Latham (Omega Werewolf) continues to grow and get better with each story. Ms. Briggs has set this in her Mercy Thompson universe, so it’s given her a chance to further expound on werewolf culture and society.







6. City of Souls (Sign of the Zodiac, Book 4) (June 2009) -Vicki Pettersson – Joanna Archer is still trying to correct her mistake that’s left her Changeling damaged in a most heinous way. With the introduction of Midheaven and finding a way for her character to get out of Las Vegas, not to mention the emotional gut-wrenching scenes….this book will suck you in. Check out my review here.






5. Skin Trade (Anita Blake, Book 17) (June 2009) – Laurell K. Hamilton – This is how I missed my Anita Blake stories. Being in a thrill ride from start to finish. I mean the book starts with a decapitated head being sent to her. Great stuff showing that Ms. Hamilton is definitely back a the top of her game.








4. Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, Book 1) (July 2009) – Faith Hunter – Doing something I’ve never read before by almost having her character Jane have multiple personalities. Well, Jane does, Beast lives inside of her and gets to be Alpha when Jane shifts. Using Cherokee folklore and expounding on it is a great ride. Highly recommended. Please check out my review here.







3. Tempest Rising (Jane True Bk. 1) (November 2009) - Nicole Peeler – I completely meant what I wrote in my review of this: It is a Gem of a first novel. Plus, you can’t swing a dead cat without hitting a supernatural that almost no one has ever written about before. With a fast paced story it leaves you wanting the sequel Tracking the Tempest as soon as you finish. Also the greatest cover to grace the shelves this year. Please check out my full review here.






2. White Witch, Black Curse (The Hollows, Book 7) – Kim Harrison – Still heartbroken over the death of her lover Kisten six months previous, Rachel vows to find out who did it. Considering she was there and cannot remember that’s a bit of a stumbling block, but it’s coming back to her. With the help of her Vampire partner Ivy and Pixie partner Jenks she’s going to get to the bottom of it if it kills her. Kim Harrison never disappoints.






1. Bone Crossed (Mercy Thompson, Book 4)(February 2009) – Patricia Briggs – Finally Patricia Briggs gets moved into hardbound. Mercy trying her very best to maneuver in both Vampire and Werewolf politics finds out that’s easier said then done. In one of those worlds were most of the “monsters” have come out Ms. Briggs does an awesome job of keeping her world as realistic as possible. Truly, my favourite book of 2009.






My Honourable Mentions for this year, in no particular order this time, are:


Mark of the Demon (My Review's here) - Diana Rowland












Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, Book 3) - Ilona Andrews











Darkness Calls (Check out my review here) - Marjorie Liu











The Better Part of Darkness - Kelly Gay (review forthcoming)











Blood Kin (Blood Lines Bk. 3)(Check out my review here) - Maria Lima











Demon Mistress (Otherworld)(Check out my review here) - Yasmine Galenorn











Frostbitten (Women of the Otherworld, Book 10) - Kelley Armstrong












All of these novels are well worth your time and money. There’s nothing but standouts here. I do not think one of the books mentioned in this post will disappoint.

12 comments:

  1. Some great titles in this list - many already on my to find and read list. Thanks for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list!! I def agree with Briggs, LKH, and Kittredge! Also on my UF list include Dreamfever by Moning, Three Days to Dead - Meding, Destined Early Grave - Frost, Doubleblind - Aguirre.

    Definitely want to read SKinwalker and City of Souls!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not read all of the books you have listed, but I loved Skin Trade. It is probably my favorite book of the year. I also was not a big fan of Skinwalker. I loved Bone Cross, it probably would have been my #2. Hunting Ground is another one I really liked.

    Great list. I am going to have to try the ones I have not read yet.

    I also really like Jenna Black, Karen Chance, Jeaniene Frost and Stacia Kane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good list! I'd add Afterlife by Naomi Clark and Bleak History by John Shirley, my two favourites of 2009. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many great books - and go THE BETTER PART OF DARKNESS. I have a lot of these on my TBR pile and a few of them at the top. And Thanks for including NIGHT'S COLD KISS in your list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved Frostbitten as I do all her books. Ghost Ocean by S.M. Peters is a wonderful book as well. My favorite though I just read, The Devil's Alphabet by Daryl Gregory. Fantastic book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent list! I'd also include Norse Code by Greg van Eekhout.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good list. I'd also add Afterlife by Naomi Clark and Bleak History by John Shirley, my two favourites of 2009. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Vanished, Hunting ground, skin trade, White witch..., bone crossed, city of souls, frostbitten, magic bites...

    I havent read the other ones, so I'd add:

    Destined to an early grave by Jeaniene Frost, Magic in the shadows by Devon Monk, Pride by Rachel Vincent, the new weather warden series bk by Rachel Caine, Dawnbreaker by Jocelynn Drake and a few more hehe =)))

    great post =)))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great list, a lot of wonderful books. I would have included Jaye Wells' Red-Headed Stepchild, I think that was one of the best books I read this year. In addition, I agree with others that Destined For An Early Grave by Jeaniene Frost and Doubleblind by Ann Aguirre were worthy of mention.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alright! Thanks for all your comments. From those here's the books I left off this years list, suggested by you, the readers:

    Mandi suggested: Dreamfever by Moning, Three Days to Dead - Meding, Destined Early Grave - Frost, Doubleblind - Aguirre

    BTW- Blood Cross by Hunter (the sequel to SKINWALKER) is amazing! Publicist never sent me Three Days to Dead :(

    Melanie- Suggested: Jenna Black (Speak of the Devil), Karen Chance (Curse the Dawn, BTW I Can Not wait for Death's Mistress, the new Dorina Basarab Jan 5th 2010), Jeaniene Frost (Destined for an Early Grave-That's 2) and Stacia Kane (Demon Inside)

    Rebecca - Also wanted to add Afterlife by Naomi Clark and Bleak History by John Shirley

    Larissa also wanted to mention: Destined for an Early Grave by Jeaniene Frost (That's 3), Magic in the Shadows by Devon Monk, Pride by Rachel Vincent, Cape Storm by Rachel Caine, and Dawnbreaker by Jocelynn Drake

    Ryan G(My new favourite reviewer because we male reviewers have to stick together) Suggested: Ghost Ocean by S.M. Peters & The Devil's Alphabet by Daryl Gregory

    Alexia561 and an all around great gal suggested Norse Code by Greg van Eekhout

    Barbara E also suggests Jaye Wells Red Headed Step-Child (BARELY missed the list BTW), another vote for Destined for an Early Grave by Jeaniene Frost and Doubleblind by Ann Aguirre


    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Keep 'em Coming!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I also was not a big fan of Skinwalker. I loved Bone Cross, it probably would have been my #2. Hunting Ground is another one I really liked.

    Make website india

    ReplyDelete